Thursday, January 10, 2008

We don't hate you










During the storm-caused blackout, we turned to radio for information and entertainment. To my surprise, there is actually a right-wing talk radio in this liberal town. From then on, I have tuned in once in a while. The other day I was listening to some guy sitting in for Rush Limbaugh when I was driving to school. Suddenly I realized why the ideologically right do not hate the left, while the opposite is often the case.

It is very much like pre-2004 Yankees and Red Sox. The Red Sox nation talked about Evil Empire all the time, but Yankee fans didn't care a bit. If you are winning perennially, will you care who is behind you? So the libertarians never hate anyone simply because we are winning.

But exactly what have we won? Proudly, we have won in the contest of understanding how this world works. Time and again, we have shown people that the world is converging to what the libertarians believe in: free market and free people.

Therefore, we don't hate you. We just think you are stupid.

Disclaimer: I do not think Rush Limbaugh is more libertarian than conservative. And I never like the characters of those right-wing talk show hosts. To paraphrase Obama, unlike Hillary, neither Rush Limbaugh nor Bill O'Reilly is likable enough.

(Picture: www. rushlimbaugh.com)

No comments: