Thursday, July 13, 2006

Mexican












Living in California is a bliss. You never need to take a flight to taste authentic international cuisines. But I don't like how Americans call them: ethnic foods. It just doesn't sound right. Anyway, California boasts the largest Vietnamese community outside Vietnam, the largest Korean community outside Korea Peninsula, and many more different ethnic groups. Despite that many international cuisines are twisted to appeal to Americans, we still can find first-rate foreign foods if we look harder.

I have an obstinate Taiwanese/Chinese stomach. Yet, I still try different foods once in a while. I love Pho, Pul-kogi, Larp, and Sashimi. To be honest, I learned to taste them only after coming to California. If you know all the names I just flashed to you, you probably know I still have an Asian stomach. Not that I don't like western foods. I need some guide to learn to appreciate American/European foods. It always takes a lot of luck if I just venture into "exotic" restaurants and try them out.

Consequently, it is safer for me to order hamburgers from Carl's Jr or Jack-in-the-Box if there isn't an In-N-Out around (don't want to talk about McDonald's here). The same logic applies to Mexican foods. Baja Fresh and Taco Bell know their ways. Yet, if someone shows me a really good Mexican restaurant and tells me which to order, I won't hesitate to try.

That is how I get to know this authentic Mexican restaurant- Tepa-Sahuayo(There is another one in Wastonville, called Cilantros. I will try it next time when I feel like Mexican). I went there and asked the waitress for some suggestions. I can't remember the names of the dishes, but the food was greasy and spicy and even came with rice, just like Chinese! Anyway, we had a good time eating. I did a poor job talking about the food, but please consider it a good review.

No comments: