Monday, July 17, 2006

50-50










Recent escalation of the Middle East crisis and the handling of the major world powers remind me of my childhood fights with my siblings. In the end, everyone got punished. My parents always attributed the responsibility equally to both kids involved. G8 just asked Israel to exercise "utmost restraint" and Hezbollah and Hamas to return the hostages. The 50-50 styled justice again came to my mind.

That is not justice to me. It is never 50-50. There is always someone that arouses the conflict and should be held responsible for the behavior. Punishing both sides just obscures the principle and encourages future stimulation. I don't like the 50-50 because I was never the party to begin the fight. So is Israel in this case.

This should be the right message to Hezbollah and Hamas: Return the hostages unconditionally!

(Picture: New York Times)

No comments: