Thursday, November 08, 2007

Robert Flood is in town












Robert Flood was in the department to give a couple of talks this week. One was about advice for graduate students. I am just so happy to learn that I am doing most of the things he suggested. Can I say, "great minds think alike?" Maybe it is too early to tell if I will be as big as he is, but I am really inspired.

Having seen the unusual high attendance to Dr. Flood's talk, I want to say something about seminar attendance in general. I have decided to commit myself to one of the department seminars since I cleared field exams. Commitment means attending every week without questioning what the topic is. Most of my peer selectively go. Make no mistake, I did struggle sometimes because the talk was so boring or too difficult. But my take on this is that going to seminars is like taking vitamins. You won't see the immediate benefits, but in the long run, it sure helps. Besides, you know what happens if you take vitamin only once in a while: eventually you will stop taking it for good.

(Picture: worldbank.org)

No comments: