Monday, August 27, 2007

The devil is in the details




















OK, this is a bragging post. Cover your eyes if you don't want to see any commercials.

I was invited to hold a training session in the new graduate TA orientation in this coming September. I guess it was because of my "fine" work recognized by the department in the letter above. I am going to reveal all my secrets of how to constantly get 4.5+ student evals in the orientation.

I am going to open the discussion with the following story.

When we first got pregnant with Andrew, one of my friends told me, "man, it is so difficult with all those medical terms during the pregnancy. I didn't know what the doctor said at all. You'd better find a Chinese doctor." This came from an ABC(American born Chinese) with perfect command of English. That really scared me. So my wife and I bought some books and studied them pretty hard. Guess what? I understood everything the doctor had said to us. One of the nurses in the hospital even credited us with the best team ever.

So what is the trick for a non-native speaker to be an excellent TA? Preparation, preparation and preparation. Not too bad to open a training session, huh?

No comments: