Sunday, April 29, 2007

What blogging can get you









Greg Mankiw advises against starting a blog for junior researchers. He thinks it is a big distraction for a fledgling research career. It is rather discouraging to a novice blogger and economist like me. But the reason why I started a blog is still valid and my Cruzangels blog is getting me something I've never thought of. So I will ignore the Harvard economist's good advice for once.

I began to write on the belief that economists live and die on giving advice. On top of good oral communications, writing well is a big part of delivering economists' thoughts. Prof. Walsh encouraged us to write frequently in his advanced macro class. I took the advice by heart and started to write on economics in both Chinese and English. By the latest count, I have 25 pieces published in the leading Taiwanese newspaper Apple Daily. Quite surprsing even to myself.

In addition to the financial rewards I am getting from writing (by the way, if you click the ads on the top of this blog, I get a few cents from the advertisers.), I get something unexpected recently.

(to be continued.)

No comments: