Saturday, August 05, 2006

Trying to be different




















First of all, the guy in the picture isn't me. When I saw Jeremy Chang on TV, some thoughts came to my mind. He is a pop singer in Taiwan with several hits. Not a super star but popular enough that people won't mistaken him for someone else. One of my college buddies, let's call him K, looked like him in many ways. For one, they both have deceiving sad looks. For some reasons, college girls just fell for that look. Anyway, I am not here to whine about how popular they used to be. Just like Chang, K used to play great guitar in a band. Jeremy Chang's banal performance on TV got me wonder why a guy like K, who could have easily become another pop singer, ends up being a fat-belly, middle-class man that he used to hate so much.

Everyone tries so hard to be different. I am no exception. So is K. He despised pop music. Everybody could play pop songs. The lyrics are soft and meaningless. The only music that was good enough for him was alternative heavy metal. Just by looking at the name, we would know there wasn't a big crowd cheering for him. He went on playing that until his band flopped.

He was just trying to be different. Thank god K has so many talents. He got a decent job with his computer programming skill. He is now having a good time with his family and work, I guess. Nothing wrong with that. I just thought that if he could just be a more ordinary guitar player or singer, he would have left a bigger footprint because he would have been so popular.

Better be the head of an ass than tail of a horse, as they say. Such mentality best describes why we want to be different. But how do we know we can't be the head of a horse some day?

(Picture: Jeremy Chang)

No comments: